Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Homeward Bound

I know that people have been on the edge of their seats for the past year waiting for me to write another blog post. So, here it is. And of course, with a blog post, comes a trip back to Ghana. It has been a year and a half since I have seen my girls. However, not seeing them has not stopped me from talking about them. This past year and a half I have gotten to share with so many people about my other life across the Atlantic. I have had so many opportunities to speak in different settings about my work with The Pearl House. From new friends on campus, to speaking in front of hundreds of people, God has made sure I get to talk about what He has made me passionate about.
Despite my love of talking about The Pearl House, I love even more when I have the opportunity to go! And so here I sit, at the beginning of my Christmas break, on a plane to Ghana, West Africa. I am jittery, tired, and hungry; but I know that as soon as that African air hits me in the face (quite literally) it will be like I never left. As I was planning this trip, I gave Courtney Garland full reign of when to tell the girls. She never did. SO… surprise it is! Which let’s be honest, it is more fun that way. Who doesn’t like being attacked with a giant group hug that knocks you off your feet? It really is the only way to be welcomed by someone these days. I know what most of you are thinking. It is the same question so many people have asked as I have prepared for my trip. SHE IS MISSING CHRISTMAS. Yes, yes I am. But, thank God that I have such a supportive family that truly understands that I have more family besides them now. They share me with my African family. Yes, my family will miss me and I will miss them, but as most of you can recall, I was gone for six months last time. These three weeks will be a breeze for them.
I am so excited to celebrate Christmas the Ghanaian way. Who needs a ham or a turkey for Christmas dinner when you can have a goat and some of Rita’s hand-pounded fufu? I think it will truly be an eye-opener to celebrate Christmas in a different culture. And by different, I mean NOT American. I am not saying that Americans celebrate wrong, I just think that sometimes we forget that Christmas is not just a holiday for those born in the States, but that there are so many ways to celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ. BUT, I of course had to bring a few of the fun traditions from the States. It would only be fitting that as the new Pearl House is being built, we build some ginger bread versions of the house!

I cannot believe that I am going to embrace the girls that have captured my heart in less than 12 hours. This gives me plenty of time to drive to Winneba and find a good hiding spot. I will be keeping you all updated on the Pearl House Christmas Extravaganza, featuring Auntie Clara and Auntie Laura, throughout these next few weeks, but for now, goodbye from row 30, seat D (middle seat).

No comments:

Post a Comment