Sunday, December 20, 2015

After the Lights Went Out

Well, my welcome was everything that I imagined it would be. Our “chief driver,” as he calls himself, Kofi picked us up from the airport and we went straight to the house. We arrived around noon and waited for the girls to come home. In my Miss Pink way, ran into the house and immediately started bothering Rita and Tina. I yelled for Tina all around the house and eventually went to her room to wake her up, letting her know that I have arrived. She was not too mad. Courtney and Laura fell asleep every time their minds knew there was something there to catch them. I on the other hand was too excited. Seven of the girls returned from school around 2:30 and they others would come around 4:30 because they had training. Even though I surprised the girls in groups, the love was just the same. This is time though I just got three big group hugs. Of course, we could not make it through the day much longer and the three of us went to bed at 7 and did not wake up until noon the following day.
            As soon as I woke up, I went to the girls’ school. It was their last day, so it was my only opportunity to say hi to their teachers. I greeted the headmaster, the administrator, and the teacher Madam Clara. I loved hearing about all of the girls’ progress. This is their first term after all being double promoted. Just like in America, the last day before break comes with grades being posted. I brought those who were ready to leave back to the house with me and they went through their daily after school routine. My first full day back greeted me by being lights off. This means no lights and no air conditioning. That lasted from noon that day until the following morning. It is okay though, I am still pretty used to it. I am glad that the girls don’t think that I need to readjust after being gone. I can handle the food, the heat, the cold showers, and for the most part- the mosquitos. 
            On Friday, we decorated the whole house for Christmas and the girls did a wonderful job. It is now Saturday. The caretakers, Laura, Dana, and I spent the afternoon planning the schedule for the break. We came up with so many fun things to do. Thanks to out wonderful donors, we get to take a local excursion to the beach and another excursion to a Ghanaian tourist attraction. The girls also got their Christmas dresses yesterday and Laura and I were so jealous that we had to go into town and hunt down a seamstress that would make us dresses before Christmas. No worries readers, we found one. 
            The past two days have been so wonderful. I love spending my days with the girls and having it be like I never left. They still call my room “Auntie Clara’s Room” and remember all of my family and ask about them. It amazes me that so much joy can be found in cleaning the house, because I am doing it with my pearls. Today was also filled with Ghanaian dishes. Mercy made “rocks”- like creamed corn- for breakfast and I just finished a bowl of groundnut soup and rice ball, eaten with my hands of course. 
            I am looking forward to all of the fun things we have on our calendar for the next two weeks. I will keep you all updated on Clara’s Christmas Adventure featuring The Pearl House.            



            

No comments:

Post a Comment